Burscough 2-3 Lancaster City

Tom Kilifin.
Tom Kilifin.
Share this article

Lancaster City produced a sensational second-half comeback at Burscough to make it two wins from two in the Evo-Stik First Division North this season.

Trailing 2-0 at the break after two Liam Caddick goals boss Darren Peacock made two changes as his side roared back into the game with an Eddie Peglar own goal, a stunning Josh Draycott strike and Tom Kilifin’s composed finish seeing them to victory.

It had been a disjointed first period from City who could have been behind even before Caddick’s 11th-minute opener.

Mark Beesley however could only head straight at Mike Hale from six yards after being found by a ball over the top in what was a huge let off for the visitors.

Burscough were ahead shortly after as a cross alluded the Blues defence with Caddick on hand to tap home from two yards at the back post.

Hale then did well to deny the striker a second as he stood firm when Caddick found himself through on goal one-on-one.

City hardly threatened at the other end, Sam Bailey’s shot from 20 yards their only real effort in anger, and it was soon 2-0 to the hosts.

Three minutes before the break Caddick cut in from the left and his powerful low shot from a narrow angle went under beat Hale at the near post.

Peacock acted at the break, removing Tom Woods and Bailey and introducing Lee Dodgson and Josh Draycott, and the Dolly Blues were transformed.

Energised, City nearly pulled a goal back two minutes in but Aaron Taylor could only shoot straight at the goalkeeper when under pressure in one-on-one.

The former Morecambe striker then headed over at the near post from a Ryan Winder corner.

But City had their goal back on 56 minutes when Peglar inexplicably headed into his own net as he met Lee Dodgson’s left-wing cross on the penalty spot.

Peacock’s side didn’t need a second invitation to push for more and they were level with a quarter of an hour to play.

Burscough keeper Tim Horn could only half punch clear under pressure from Taylor and the ball fell to Draycott 35 yards out and his first-time chip just crept in under the crossbar as the visitors levelled things up.

There was only going to be one winner from there and City were in front four minutes later with a classic counter attack.

Draycott fed Billy Akrigg down the right and he made good progress before an early cross to the left side of the box found Kilifin who took a touch before slotting the ball home from 12 yards.

Once in front City took their foot off the gas but Hale wasn’t really tested as the hosts went in search of a late leveller.

Beesley did see one shot from the edge of the area blocked by the diving Neil Marshall but Lancaster hung on to maintain their 100 per cent start to the new season.

Lancaster City: Hale, Hudson, Davis, Marshall (capt), Clark, Winder, Bailey, Akrigg, Kilifin, Woods, Taylor. Subs: Cross, Dodgson, Birch, Draycott, Donlon.