Beeley: Bentley sold Morecambe move to me

Shaun Beeley on the attack on his Morecambe debut. Picture: Mike Williamson
Shaun Beeley on the attack on his Morecambe debut. Picture: Mike Williamson
Share this article

Morecambe new boy Shaun Beeley says Shrimps boss Jim Bentley is the reason he turned down other offers to sign on at the Globe Arena.

The right back penned a deal until the end of the season after being released by Fleetwood on Thursday and says his new manager had a big part to play in the move happening.

The 25-year-old, who spent the first half of the season on loan at Bury, said: “There was a couple of options but when I spoke to the gaffer, through my agent, I loved everything about the club - especially the gaffer he’s sound.

“I’d possibly got a loan sorted here but circumstances stopped that.

“And then obviously I left Fleetwood and got in touch with the gaffer straight away and the gaffer was keen to get me in and I was keen to come here.

“I get to play football, that was the main thing for me, once I spoke to the gaffer and he was keen to get me in, I knew I wanted to come and we’ll reassess things come the end of the season.”

And Beeley is confident the end of the season can see the Shrimps competing in the League 2 play-offs.

He said: “There’s a lot of good teams, there’s also some that aren’t so good but with the way the league is at the moment, anyone can beat anyone and it is tight from top to bottom, it’s all about keeping good form and trying to stay in the top half and pushing for the play-offs.

“The play-offs should be our target, we’ve got a great set of lads and some good footballers so we’re definitely capable of reaching the play-offs.”

The Manchester-based right back hopes to contribute to the play-off push with his brand of attacking full back play.

He said: “I’m an attacking full back and like to bomb on.

“I’ll probably spend a little more time in the opposition’s half than my own.”

Beeley made his debut from the start in the Shrimps’ abandoned game at Accrington on Saturday, with the right back having no complaints about referee James Adcock’s decision to call the game off given the state of the pitch.

He said: “It was really difficult for the lads to get the ball down and play football and as the weather turned like it did, there was just no way you could play football.

“It was too slick under foot and it was stopping the ball.

“It just slowed the momentum down it’s one of those things and we go again.”