AFC Wimbledon 2-5 Morecambe

AFC Wimbledon v Morecambe - Shrimps Live
AFC Wimbledon v Morecambe - Shrimps Live
Share this article

Morecambe’s fine form on the road continued as they put five past AFC Wimbledon in a crazy game at Kingsmeadow on Saturday.

Shaun Miller’s hot streak went on with the striker’s brace, a penalty and a stunner from 30 yards, meaning he now has six goals in his last four games.

Miller also turned provider for Tom Barkhuizen with Alan Goodall and Paul Mullin the other scorers as the free-scoring Shrimps made it three straight away wins

Andy Barcham and Adebayo Akinfenwa were on target for the hosts on a day where the performance of referee Trevor Kettle left both sides fuming.

Jamie Devitt fired just over from 20 yards for The Shrimps three minutes in but it was the hosts who were in front 60 seconds later.

A neat move down the right ended with Lyle Taylor backheeling the ball into the path of Barcham who beat Shaun Beeley before firing beyond Barry Roche.

Akinfenwa then had his first sight of goal, heading over a corner on seven minutes, before The Shrimps were level.

Miller appeared to have miscontrolled in the area but got a touch in to draw a foul challenge from Semi Ajayi.

The in-form front man picked himself to hammer home the penalty, beating James Shea to his right to bring Morecambe level on nine minutes.

In a frantic opening the game continued to go end-to-end with Roche doing well to hold on to Akinfenwa’s low drive on 10 minutes.

It was Morecambe who got the game’s next goal though in memorable fashion three minutes later.

The ball dropped to Miller 30 yards out and with the ball sitting up the striker unleashed an unstoppable shot beyond a well-beaten Shea.

Look back at the game with our Shrimps Live blog

After the rollercoaster opening the game settled and was halted for more than seven minutes shortly after the half hour due to serious injury that ended Barcham’s afternoon.

It was a bitty, scrappy end to the half dominated by a dreadful display from referee Kettle.

There was one final twist as The Shrimps got their third in the 10th-minute of stoppage time.

Kettle controversially awarded a free-kick with Devitt firing over his 12th assist of the season, whipping the ball in for Goodall to flick home his fourth of the season.

The visitors’ two-goal advantage didn’t last long however with the Dons on target three minutes into the second half.

A corner came across with Akinfenwa deflecting the ball home with his shins as Morecambe appealed for offside.

As referee Kettle continued to be the centre of attention Wimbledon sensed a leveller, Dannie Bulman drilling the ball narrowly over on 55 minutes.

The hosts found chances hard to come by however as Morecambe stood firm, Roche keeping out a Sean Rigg cross that nearly crept in on 73 minutes.

Morecambe crucially got the game’s next goal 10 minutes from time however with a strike that summed up their play on the road this season.

As The Shrimps broke Miller played Barkhuizen in on goal with a fine pass from halfway, the wide man doing the rest as he lifted the ball over Shea for his seventh goal of the season.

There was still time for a fifth with time almost up and it was another fine display of counter attacking football.

Aaron Wilidig played Barkhuizen in on goal with the striker rounding Shea and squaring for Mullin who put the ball into the empty net on 89 minutes.

AFC Wimbledon: Shea, Fuller (capt), Robinson, Ajayi, Meades, Rigg (Elliott 76), Bulman, Reeves, Barcham (Francomb 38), Taylor, Akinfenwa. Subs not used: McDonnell, Kennedy, Azeez, Osborne, Toonga.

Booked: Taylor, Akinfenwa, Reeves

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley (capt), Edwards, Parrish, McGowan, Goodall, Kenyon, Barkhuizen, Devitt (Wildig 76), Ellison, Miller (Mullin 80). Subs not used: Thompson, Molyneux, Fleming, Ryan, Kelleher.

Booked: Kenyon, Goodall, Devitt, Ellison.

Referee: Trevor Kettle.
Attendance: 3,679 (96 away)

Look back at the game with our Shrimps Live blog