Carnforth miss out on league and cup double

Carnforth were unable to complete a league and cup double on Saturday, losing to Capenhurst 35-24 in their cup final.

Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 10:09 am
Updated Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 12:20 pm
Carnforth Rugby Club.

Carnforth made a great start when Jason Short was able to power over the try line for the team’s 150th try of the season.

However, Carnforth’s delight was shortlived when Cape hit back within a matter of minutes – their elusive fly half causing problems.

Back came Carnforth with Short again causing havoc in the Cape ranks with his direct running – however that was his last part in the game when as suffered an injury sustained in a tackle.

After a lengthy delay Carnforth retook the lead, Donald Haddow and Mathew Short linked up to allow Joe Harrison to burst over the line for the game’s third try in the opening 10 minutes.

The Cape stand off was an excellent player and Carnforth were struggling to contain him – his inside run saw his team move in front with a converted try.

On the half hour an excellent blind side move saw the Cape scrum half give the decisive pass for the hooker to touch down and claim a 17 -10 lead.

Cape now enjoyed plenty of possession with Carnforth having to dig in at the back.

Jason Waterhouse, Darren Winning, Shane Weed and skipper Dan Blenkharn again all excelled during the game with John Greenland also having a superb 80 minutes.

On the stroke of half-time it was Harrison and Short who combined to release Jack Edmondson, the centre had been well marshalled during the half but he found a gap and outsprinted the defence to score under the posts – his conversion levelling the final at half time.

Carnforth kept their squad going with substitutes Phil Metcalfe, Shaun Hodgson and Sam Barlow getting game time.

Following a high tackle by Dale Lowrie, the winger having a 10 minute rest, Cape took the lead once more with a well-struck penalty.

The game was an excellent affair to watch with the crowd enjoying the two sides playing excellent rugby in a great atmosphere.

Cape then moved up a gear and on the hour mark and it was once again the stand off who spotted a gap and he cut through to score to give his team a 10-point lead with 20 minutes to go.

Roared on by the travelling support Carnforth stepped it up and with Blenkharn, Edmondson, Sam Tomlinson, Nick Hamer and Harrison all making breaks the game was far from over.

With seven minutes to go Hamer cut through and when he was tackled 10 yards from the line his pass saw hooker Dave Hones burst through to score, Short converted well to reduce the gap to three points.

Carnforth could not get hold of the ball as Cape tried to win the game at the next opportunity – the crowd were anticipating Carnforth hitting back but it was Cape who took control of the ball to register their fifth try, which was followed by an important penalty as they were able to see out the game and claim a great victory.