Morecambe's MacMillan gets pro career up and running in style
Morecambe's Reece MacMillan made the perfect start to his professional career with a stoppage victory on Saturday night.
Having seen his entry into the paid ranks delayed by two months due to a paperwork error the hard-hitting welterweight halted Giuseppe Daprato in the fourth round of their fight at Bolton’s Macron Stadium.
The former Skerton ABC man said: “It went very well, he took some big shots.
“He came out as if he was going to stand there and trade but I took it too him early and he had to cover up.
“I had to go to the body and that’s how I ended up stopping him.
“It was great just to get in there and get the first one out of the way.
“1-0 with one KO, you can’t get better than that.”
Adjusting to the transition from amateur to professional can take time for some but the former Morecambe High School pupil says he enjoyed his first outing without a headguard as he was backed by a vocal following from Lancaster and Morecambe.
MacMillan, who had Preston-based trainer Johnney Roye in his corner, said: “It was a bit different without the head guard and the vest. “Those gloves are tiny as well! I enjoyed it though.
“I think my fans were the loudest ones in there.”
MacMillan was straight back into training on Monday with a view to returning to the ring in June with both Roye and his Manchester-based manager Kieran Farrell having shows in the works.
The Westgate fighter, who boxed for England as an amateur, said: “I want to just keep on working.
“Hopefully I can have four or five fights by the end of the year.”
Tyson Fury will go face-to-face with Wladimir Kiltschko at a press conference at the Manchester Arena on Wednesday.
The pair meet at the same venue in their world title rematch on July 9 as WBO, WBA Super, IBO and Ring Magazine champion Fury looks to cement his place as the number one heavyweight in the world.
The Morecambe giant shocked the boxing world when he dethroned Klitschko out in Germany back in November.
Fury’s good friend, the resort’s Commonwealth featherweight champion Isaac Lowe, is hoping to secure a spot on the undercard.
The event will now not clash with Anthony Joshua’s first defence of his IBF heavyweight title.
A major outdoor show at Wembley on July 9 had been proposed but the London 2012 Olympic gold medalist will now face Dominic Breazeale at the O2 Arena in London on June 25.