Schoolgirl died of natural causes

Chloe Passmore.
Chloe Passmore.
Share this article

A twelve-year-old girl died after suffering a massive asthma attack, a court inquest has heard.

Chloe Jade Passmore, of Barley Cop Lane in Lancaster, collapsed at her home on March 13.

An inquest at Lancaster Magistrates’ Court heard how Chloe was rushed to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary where doctors battled in vain for nearly an hour to save her.

Chloe had first been diagnosed with asthma in 2006.

She had been hospitalised twice in 2011 after suffering asthma attacks.

The day before her death, she had been off school after feeling breathless during the night.

She was still unwell the following day and had returned to her bedroom after taking a shower.

Chloe started having an acute asthma attack and her mother Wendy Passmore went upstairs where her daughter was panicking and struggling to breathe. Her inhaler was giving her no relief so an ambulance was called.

When the ambulance arrived, medical staff began trying to resuscitate Chloe who was in respiratory arrest.

En route to the hospital, Chloe vomited, her heart stopped and the crew began to administer CPR.

But just under an hour after she arrived in the Accident and Emergency department, and after continuous attempts to revive her, Chloe was pronounced dead.

Dr Stefani Bitetti, consultant paediatric pathologist, said the post-mortem revealed evidence of a rare thyroid disease and a problem in the adrenal glands, but these were “incidental findings” and did not contribute to Chloe’s death.

Dr Bitetti said: “In my opinion, Chloe Passmore died as a result of an acute and fatal asthma attack.”

Dr Graeme Meachie, GP at Owen Road surgery in Lancaster, said Chloe had been to the doctors many times with asthma complaints and had been given a brown ‘preventative’ inhaler as well as her usual inhaler which gave immediate relief.

Dr Meachie said there had been occasions when Chloe needed to be reminded to keep using her brown inhaler, but said: “It’s sometimes quite tough to persuade children to take an inhaler when they don’t see an immediate benefit.”

Simon Jones, deputy coroner, said there was evidence Chloe’s asthma was not being “well controlled”.

But he said: “It would appear that in the last 24-36 months of Chloe’s life the usage of her medication was in line with what (Dr Meachie) expected.”

The deputy coroner recorded a verdict of death by natural causes.