School pays tribute to Lancaster boy who died in house fire
Tributes continue to pour in for a 'kind and caring' 11-year-old boy who died in a house fire in Lancaster.
Cem Bora was sleeping over at a friend’s house in Coniston Road when the fire broke out in the early hours of Sunday morning.
A man, 18 and a boy, 12, escaped, but Cem’s body was found later inside the building.
His school, Dallas Road Primary, have paid tribute describing Cem as a “very popular boy.”
“We were all extremely saddened and shocked to hear the news of Cem’s tragic death, and our thoughts and sympathies go out to his family and friends,” said Rose Starkey, headteacher at Dallas Road Primary School.
“He was very kind and gentle and had a real caring side. He had a lovely sense of humour and enjoyed making us laugh.
“He loved his football and was always a great team player. He will be greatly missed by us all.
“We have been working with specialists from the county council to put in place the right support for our pupils and staff, particularly those children in Cem’s year group, as they come to terms with what is a very sad loss.”
Lancaster MP Cat Smith has also paid tribute to Cem and said she will support the family in anyway she can.
A crowdfunding page has been set up by friends to support the family. More than £5,000 has been raised so far.
The page reads: “No parent in a million years would expect this to happen when your child goes to a sleepover at a friends...absolutely heartbreaking.”
Fire crews and the police raced to Coniston Road at around 4.50am on March 19 after initial reports three people were trapped inside the house.
An 18-year-old man was taken to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary and was released from hospital on Monday evening. His injuries were not serious. The 12-year-old boy remains in Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool. The investigation into the fire, which is being treated as unexplained, continues.