SMOKE poured into a school sports centre after a fire broke out.
Heysham High Sports College pupils were due to take an exam in the building and had to be relocated.
An open evening at the school on Thursday has been cancelled due to the smoke damage.
Firefighters believe a wheelie bin was set on fire next to a door at the sports centre during the early hours of today, Tuesday. Headteacher Maurice Graham, who was informed of the fire by text message at around 6am, said: “It could have been a lot, lot worse but the fire damage is very minor.
“It’s the smoke damage that is causing the problems because you’ve got to clean all the soot.”
An inquiry has been launched. The fire is being treated as suspicious.