Nearly £7k raised for family of boy who died in Lancaster house fire

Cem Bora, 11, has sadly died in a house fire in Lancaster.
Cem Bora, 11, has sadly died in a house fire in Lancaster.
Share this article

Thousands of pounds have been raised in an overwhelming outpouring of support for the family of a 11-year-old boy who died in a house fire.

Cem Bora was sleeping over at a friends’s on Coniston Road in Lancaster when the fire broke out.

A crowdfunding page has generated nearly £7,000 to support the family as they come to terms with their loss.

His school, Dallas Road Primary, have paid tribute describing Cem as a “very popular boy.”

“We were all extremely saddened and shocked to hear the news of Cem’s tragic death, and our thoughts and sympathies go out to his family and friends,” said Rose Starkey, headteacher at Dallas Road Primary School.
“He was very kind and gentle and had a real caring side.

“He had a lovely sense of humour and enjoyed making us laugh.

“He loved his football and was always a great team player. He will be greatly missed by us all.

“We have been working with specialists from the county council to put in place the right support for our pupils and staff, particularly those children in Cem’s year group, as they come to terms with what is a very sad loss.”

Fire crews and police raced to Coniston Road at around 4.50am on March 19 after initial reports three people were trapped inside the house.

A man, 18 and a boy, 12, escaped, but Cem’s body was found later inside the building.

An 18-year-old man was taken to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary and was released from hospital on Monday March 20. His injuries were not serious.

A police spokesman said the 12-year-old boy is making a steady recovery and is due to be released from Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool later this week.

Police have said the fire is not being treated as suspicious.

The investigation continues.