A dramatic 999 call from a man in Morecambe who had been stabbed in the back with two knives was featured in a new documentary on Channel 4 about the emergency services.
Viewers of #999whatsyouremergency, which followed North West Ambulance Service call handlers at work, heard the victim in Morecambe say he had been stabbed in the back and couldn’t sit down because the knife would go into his spinal cord.
The person who made the emergency call said he had already pulled one knife out of the victim’s back but was advised to leave the other knife in situ and stem the bleeding.
The caller said he was at Green Lane near Westgate at a caravan park called New Farm.
Screams and shouts could be heard in the background from people trying to administer first aid before the ambulance arrived.
At one point the call was cut off and the ambulance service called back but could not get a response.
The shaken ambulance call handler said he hoped the ambulance could find the injured man but was unable to find out what had happened to him.
The control room also dealt with calls including a man dialling 999 for a lift home after he got lost, a woman whose terminally ill husband had died, and a man whose wife or partner was giving birth whilst he was on the phone.
The programme highlighted the high volume of calls received at the call centre and the sheer variety of calls the centre dealt with on a daily basis.
A spokesman for North West Ambulance Service said about the case in Morecambe: “We were called at 6.01am on November 28, 2015 to Green Lane, Westgate, Morecambe.
“We sent an ambulance to the scene and the patient was taken to the Royal Preston Hospital with stab injuries.”
#999whatsyouremergency is on Monday nights on Channel 4 at 9pm.
Next week’s episode on July 11 features Cheshire police.
*Michael Shepherd, 19, of Greengate Lane, Carnforth, has been charged with section 18 wounding with intent in connection with the Morecambe incident on November 28, 2015.
He appeared at Lancaster Magistrates Court on May 10 and was tagged until his next appearance at court on June 10 when he was bailed until October 19, 2016 to stand trial at Preston Crown Court.