A Nando’s lover got a nasty surprise when she discovered something wasn’t quite right with her chicken burger meal.
Laura Barrow, from Morecambe, was halfway through a forkful of chips at Nando’s in Prestonwhen she felt a strange crunching sensation.
The horrified 19 year-old couldn’t believe her eyes when she pulled out the hard item which became lodged between her teeth.
On closer inspection she discovered the object resembled a fingernail.
Laura said: “I was biting through and this hard thing got stuck in my teeth and I thought what the hell is that?
“I took it out of my mouth and looked down and it was a fingernail.
I just hope anyone’s next Nando’s isn’t like another episode of I’m a Celebrity!Laura Barrow
“It was horrible, it was all yellow from the sauce and it looked like it had been bitten off.
“I was just pleased that it wasn’t a young child who could have swallowed it and choked or something.”
Laura received a letter from the restaurant, who explained the fingernail was in fact a cocktail-stick shaving.
A Nando’s spokesman said: “We make every effort to ensure that our food is served to the highest standard.
“Unfortunately, in this case it appears a small shaving from one of the cocktail sticks we use for the flags to show spice level was found in another part of the customer’s dish.”
The Leeds University student has been refunded for the meal she had with her boyfriend, Angus Meikle, and has also been given two meal vouchers.
But Laura, who is a monthly visitor to the eatery, has been put off by the experience and can’t imagine going back anytime soon.
She said: “My friend invited me to go the other day and I just couldn’t face it.
“I will go back eventually just not anytime soon, it was disgusting.
“I am not the sort of person to complain really but I felt like I had to with this.
“I just hope anyone’s next Nando’s isn’t like another episode of I’m a Celebrity!”