Morecambe killer misses own wedding after punching fiancee

Christopher Kearns.
Christopher Kearns.
Share this article

A man punched his fiancee – who he was due to marry the next day – while serving a sentence for killing a father-of-two in Morecambe.

Christopher Kearns, 43, left his future bride with a nosebleed after punching her repeatedly in the nose following a row.

He then took an overdose and had to be treated in hospital.

The incident took place on December 16, while Kearns was out of prison on licence.

He had been jailed for three years and four months in April 2013 for the manslaughter of 55-year-old Paul Ormerod.

Mr Ormerod was assaulted outside the Joiners Arms pub in Queen Street on November 5 2012. He was punched once in the face and fell to the ground.

After the latest incident, Kearns, of Hampsfell Drive in Morecambe, was originally charged with actual bodily harm, but this was reduced to common assault when he appeared in court in Preston on January 6.

Kearns pleaded guilty to the charge and was given a 12-month conditional discharge.

He was then recalled to prison to complete his original sentence. He is due to be released on March 18.

Prosecutor Alex Mann told the court that Kearns’s future wife did not want him to be prosecuted.

When he is released, the pair still plan to marry.

He told the court: “The victim is his partner and has been for 12 months.

“She describes him as a thoughtful, loving person needing help.”

The court was told how, before the assault, the victim and Kearns got into an argument.

She shouted back at her partner and told him to go.

The next thing she remembers was being punched in the nose, the court was told.

“The defendant was crying and apologised, asking what had happened and what he had done,” Mr Mann said.

Kearns was worried about being recalled to prison, the court was told.

“She’s aware he has previous convictions which led to him entering prison when he didn’t receive support and the medication he was used to,” Mr Mann said.

“When he was released he was struggling to cope.”

Defending, Jon Lee said the case had caused a lot of distress due to the fact their wedding was to take place the following day.

They had to miss their special day because Kearns was hospitalised and then recalled to prison.

Mr Lee said: “He wants to take responsibility but has little recollection because of his mental health issues. They do still intend to get married when he comes out of prison.”