Morecambe bonfire night plans shelved

A fireworks display in Morecambe planned for November 2015 has been called off.
A fireworks display in Morecambe planned for November 2015 has been called off.
Share this article

Plans for a new community bonfire and fireworks night on Morecambe Promenade in November 2015 have been ditched.

Lancaster City Council will not allow the event, planned for November 4, to go ahead on council land because it had been organised “at the 11th hour”.

Organiser David Brayshaw said it may be rearranged for 2016.

Mr Brayshaw, head of the Morecambe Events Co-Operative, had obtained funding from Morecambe Town Council for a bonfire and fireworks display near the former Dome site.

He said: “I’m disappointed.

“Morecambe should have its’ own community bonfire and fireworks however, we need Lancaster City Council support and I acknowledge that our event has been organised at the last minute.

“I had a long meeting with the leader and deputy leader of the council earlier this week and I do believe that if it were possible to do the event this year, they would have helped make it happen. I

was heartened to hear their words of encouragement if we were to plan a similar event in 2016. Please take note Lancaster City Council, I hope that this is enough notice.”

Coun Janice Hanson, Lancaster City Council cabinet member for economic regeneration, said: “The proposal for a bonfire and fireworks event on Morecambe promenade is a fabulous idea and something that we would support taking place on council owned land.

“Clearly, however, it is potentially a dangerous event so to give it the go ahead the city council would need a management plan and a comprehensive risk assessment.

“There does appear to be some confusion, but my understanding is that unfortunately, due to the last minute nature of the event, Mr Brayshaw did not have the time to provide these details himself and so asked the city council to provide further help. However, we do not have the capacity to do that in house especially at the eleventh hour.

“The city council is very supportive of events and will do all it can within its own resources to advise event organisers, but it simply does not have the capacity or resource to step in and organise them on their behalf.

“Even for the annual display in Lancaster the city council has to hire an events management company, such is the lack of capacity in-house in these times of Government funding reductions.”

Morecambe Carnival boss hits out at funding delay