Man escapes after duvet set on fire by cigarette

editorial image
Share this article

A man who fell asleep with a lit cigarette in his hand was lucky to escape with his life after it set fire to the duvet covering him.

The burning duvet filled the flat with smoke, said the fire service who were called out at 4.09am on March 13.

The fire service were called to Ripley Court, Princess Avenue, Lancaster, but luckily the man had managed to get out of the flat uninjured.

The smoke from the fire set the fire alarm system off in the building alerting all the occupiers.

The flat was smokelogged but was ventilated by the fire service.

Additional smoke detectors were fitted.

A spokesperson for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “This incident highlights the extreme dangers of smoking in bed or late at night when tired and on this occasion the occupier was extremely lucky.”