Inquest rules death of Tyson Fury’s uncle ‘accidental’

An inquest has heard how the uncle of heavyweight boxer Tyson Fury was killed by a blood clot that formed after he broke his leg while moving a caravan.

Wednesday, 1st July 2015, 11:32 am
Hughie Fury trained Tyson Fury (right) for some of his biggest bouts, including this British and Commonwealth Title win over Dereck Chisora in 2011. Nick Potts/PA Wire.

Much-loved family man, horse dealer and boxing coach Hugh ‘Hughie’ Fury, 50, suffered a cardiac arrest after the clot travelled to his lung.

Mr Fury, from Lancaster, lay in a coma for 11 weeks before he died in the Royal Lancaster Infirmary (RLI) on October 11 2014.

He had helped train Tyson – currently number one contender for the World Heavyweight Title – for some of his earlier career bouts.

Tyson cancelled a fight with Alexander Ustinov in July 2014 when his uncle fell ill.

Mr Fury was first injured when the drawbar of a caravan fell on his leg as he moved it in an accident on July 7 2014.

Surgeons at Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester recommended the break to his leg was fixed using a bolt and screw mechanism.But Mr Fury refused the treatment due to not wanting to break his skin for fear of contracting an infection which could affect the type 1 diabetes he’d suffered from since the age of nine.

Instead, his broken shin bone was plastered from his toe to above his knee.

The court heard that when Mr Fury attended a clinic at the RLI on July 18, he told theatre specialist Raji Sinha he was taking the suggested drug enoxaparin, administered in injection form, despite this not being the case.

As he experienced more discomfort from almost his whole leg being in cast, he returned to the hospital where he agreed to have a metal plate bolted into his leg and went under the knife 20 days after suffering the fracture.

His heart stopped on the operating table when he finally underwent surgery three weeks later and he was moved to an intensive care ward where he lay unresponsive for 11 weeks until his death.

A post mortem examination found his cause of death to be bronchial pneumonia resulting from a pulmonary embolism and cardiac arrest.

Dr James Adeley, senior coroner for Preston and West Lancashire, recorded a conclusion of accidental death. Dr Adeley said: “The most dangerous time for a clot to develop is five to seven days after injury.

“The would make the most definite time for Hugh’s clot to have developed between July 9 and 11.

“These were dates that were uncovered by enoxaparin and was unfortunate.”

Hughie also trained his sons Phill, Walter and Hughie, and was himself a former boxer.

During his time in intensive care, his family, including his sons, wife Violet and daughter Jane, kept a constant vigil at his hospital bed.

In a statement at the time, his brother Peter, Tyson’s current trainer, said: “Sadly we lost our big brother today after 11 weeks of struggle.

“Life will never be the same again for all our family, especially his wife and children. The loss we feel makes us numb with grief.

“He’s passed over to the blessed Lord and one day we will meet again our brother, love you always.”

He also tweeted: “Thanks to every one for the nice messages for my brother. God bless all of you.”

Tyson tweeted: “Tragic loss for the fury family. Uncle Hughie Fury. Forever in my heart & life. RIP. Gone to see Jesus.”