Funding for new prom festival put on hold

Batala at Morecambe last year.
Batala at Morecambe last year.

Funding has been put on hold for a new Morecambe festival set to attract more than 3,000 people to the town.

But organisers of the Seaside Fiesta, linked with the International Batala Drummers Group, are confident the event will still go ahead.

The festival will celebrate diverse world music, food and drink along the promenade between the Battery, Northumberland Street and in the Morecambe Arena and the Stone Jetty.

Organisers are worried they will be pressed for time for the Fiesta, which is due to take place on Sunday August 2 between noon and 6pm. This comes after councillors agreed to delay talks on cash until the next Morecambe Town Council meeting on May 7.

Proposals are in place to award £4,945 from the balance of the existing major festivals fund to the Fiesta.

Despite this, Councillor David Brayshaw, chairman of the Morecambe Events Cooperative, is hopeful funding will be given. He said: “This is something we want to commit to now. We are talking in the summer and time passes by so quickly. It will go ahead, I just hope it will go ahead with Morecambe Town Council’s support.”

Councillor Tricia Heath said: “It sounds like an excellent idea but we should go through a certain process. I think it would look wrong if we were to make an exception for a councillor.” Councillor Terrie Metcalfe said: “I am just hoping they have got everything in place. It is not giving them a lot of time if things are decided in May.”