Shock death of pop man Paul

Paul Ormerod.
Paul Ormerod.
Share this article

Family, friends and customers of a fizzy drinks salesman have been left devastated by his death after he was attacked in Morecambe.

Paul Ormerod, widely known as ‘Pop Man Paul’, lost his fight for life in hospital on Thursday morning.

Mr Ormerod, 55, was punched in the face on Queen Street in the early hours of November 5.

He suffered a head injury and never regained consciousness.

A self-employed father of two, Mr Ormerod delivered fizzy pop around the estates of Lancaster for about 30 years in his recognisable yellow and white vans.

He was the eldest of three children, with two brothers Gary and Kevin.

He had a son Connor and daughter Lynn, and was devoted to his mum Joan, living with her on Williamson Road in Lancaster as her carer.

His family said in statement: “We are devastated by what has happened.”

“Paul was a quiet man who was well known and liked in the local community.

“He will be sadly missed by all his family and friends.”

Speaking to The Visitor, friend Michael Mcnamara said: “He was the friendliest guy I’ve ever known.

“He always had a smile on his face and had a wicked sense of humour. He used to wind us all up for fun with his quirks and his pranks.

“There was a big group of us who were all mates who went to Benidorm every year for a laugh.

“He took his kids on some great holidays. He also loved his horse racing and went all over, to Aintree, Cheltenham and Haydock.

“I just can’t believe it. One minute he’s there and the next he’s gone.”

David Meehan, another friend, said: “He was hard working and a good dad who looked after his mother, and a big fan of West Ham United.”

Sue Hunter, a customer of Mr Ormerod’s, said: “He came here every week for 20 years and also delivered parcels for a bit.

“He was reserved but a lot of fun. I can’t believe his van’s not going to be parked here on a Sunday.”

*Christopher Kearns, 40, of Marine Road East in Morecambe, appeared at Preston Crown Court on Monday charged with murder.

He was remanded in custody and will appear again on February 22. A provisional trial date has been set for April 2.