In the latest instalment of our ‘then and now’ photo series, this week we feature Euston Road.
Today the site of sheltered flats, the area opposite Morecambe Bay Primary School was formerly a railway station.
Euston Road station opened in May 1886, replacing the earlier Poulton Lane station where York Bridge now stands. There was a level crossing there back then,
The owners of Euston Road station were London and North Western Railway, which ceased to exist in 1923 after the independent railway companies were amalgamated by the government under the Railway Grouping legislation.
David Hodgson who supplied the pictures reckons this photo was taken any time between 1886 and 1923 but thinks it could be Edwardian.
Thanks again David. We’ll have another ‘then and now’ next week.