More bad news for Tyson Fury – his mega heavyweight fight with Dereck Chisora this weekend has been called off with just six days to go.
Chisora has broken a bone in his left hand during sparring and has withdrawn from this Saturday’s fight at Manchester’s Phones4U Arena.
This will be the third time in 10 months Morecambe-based Fury has seen an opponent pull out injured after David Haye did it twice to him last year.
Peter Fury, Tyson’s trainer, told The Visitor he and Fury were both devastated.
“I know about as much as you, we’ve just heard,” he said on Monday evening.
Peter also said it was “too early to say” if a replacement opponent could be lined up for Tyson.
Undefeated Fury and Londoner Chisora were due to meet in a final eliminator for the WBO World Heavyweight Title.
They first fought in July 2011, with the 6ft9in Morecambe man winning on points.
The two had engaged in a bitter war of words in the lead-up to the rematch.
Fury has fallen foul of the British Boxing Board of Control due to a foul-mouthed tirade he unleashed at a recent press conference in London. He has been called before a disciplinary hearing with the board next month.
Tyson and Chisora also shook hands on a £100,000 side bet after Fury turned down his opponent’s offer of a £10,000 bet, saying he gives £10,000 to his kids to buy sweets.
As news broke of Chisora’s pull-out, Tyson tweeted his rival: “Don’t even think of pulling out of this fight bitch! Don’t do a @mrdavidhaye...you’ll be a laughing stock.”
Fury also called his rival a name which we have chosen not to print due to its explicit content.
European Champion Chisora replied: “Sorry mate would have been a very good fight, we get it on next month don’t complain about the money you give 10,000 to your kids.”
The BoxNation televised show will still go ahead with Billy Joe Saunders challenging for the Vacant European Middleweight title against Emanuele Blandamura now the main event.
Chisora said: “I can’t tell you how disappointed I am to have to pull out of the fight against Fury, but it is on the advice of my specialist that I have to do this.
“I’m sorry for the fans who will get to miss this great fight between me and Tyson this Saturday, but once my hand is healed and I’m given the all-clear to train and punch again, I’ll be working on the new date for the fight.
“I was in fantastic shape and had a great training camp, probably the best so far in my career, and was looking forward to getting revenge on Fury, but that will have wait.
“I’m sorry to have to pull out on Fury, as I know that he had been training hard and it was going to be a great fight between two top athletes and I hope we can get it on again soon.”
Promoter Frank Warren said, “Everybody involved in the fight worked hard to get it on and for this to happen on the final week is a big disappointment to everyone.
“There’s no way that Dereck could fight with his hand fractured and there’s no way I would let him get into the ring and fight with an injury like that.
“Obviously you’ve got to feel for Tyson who, through no fault of his own, has been hit hard by this postponement after all the training he has put in. It’s a big heavyweight fight with a lot at stake for both fighters and we’re working hard to get a new date confirmed.”