Tatham ready to make most of arena debut

Tomi Tatham. Picture: Karen Priestley
Tomi Tatham. Picture: Karen Priestley

Tomi Tatham believes his first taste of big-time boxing will stand him in good stead for the future.

The Bentham light-heavyweight is part of the undercard to Anthony Crolla’s world title rematch with Jorge Linares at the Manchester Arena on Saturday night.

There has been plenty of frustration for the 27-year-old in the build-up, his British title eliminator scrapped after original adversary Liam Conroy picked up a cut in a fight at the start of the month.

It means his opponent is yet to be confirmed but Tatham is determined to put on a show having sold more than 300 tickets.

“Everything around this fight will stand me in good stead,” said Tatham, who will be fighting for the first time in 12 months due to injury.

“It will be great to sample the atmosphere and it just would have been nice if it had been the Conroy fight.

“It’s a fight I truly believe I would have won and looked good doing so.

“It’s about getting this one done and moving onto the next one.”

His preparation has been a little different this time around, ‘TNT’ heading out to Tenerife for a few days with trainer Karl Ince and stablemates Shayne Singleton, Rick Godding and Mike Stafford.

“It was really nice to get away,” said Tatham.

“Life recently was getting up early, going to work, racing to training, and then going back to work.

“It was good to relax, train and then relax again.

“You can concentrate on what you’ve got to do.

“Everyone gave it their all and pushed each other on.”

While looking to the positives ahead of Saturday night, the Bentham bruiser, 11-1 as a pro, admits it has been a tough build-up.

It’s the second time the Conroy fight has been shelved, Tatham himself originally pulling out with a back injury.

“I’ve carried on professionally because these things happen,” he said.

“I feel very, very let down by Liam’s team. For him to have a meaningless fight like that so close to this one was a silly move.

“When I got injured before the last one I rang Liam personally before he found out from everyone else.

“I thought I’d get the same because it’s all been very respectful but he hasn’t been in touch.

“People do things differently though.

“I just want to move forward.

“I’m frustrated by the whole situation because it was a big chance to move a step closer to the British title.”