Hockey: Mixed feelings after eight-goal thriller

Nick Davey.
Nick Davey.

Lancaster & Morecambe Men’s 1s continued their good start to the season with an action-packed 4-4 draw at free-scoring Urmston Mens 1s on Saturday.

The game began in its usual fashion with both teams exchanging blows at both ends of the field, but to LMHC’s dismay it was their hosts who struck early after some hesitant defending from the visitors.

Their luck didn’t improve as soon after influential midfielder Matt Lee fell victim to a torn hamstring which could keep him out for up to two weeks.

However Lancaster and Morecambe hit back, ramping up the pressure before a shot rebounded to Michael Sambell in the Urmston D and he calmly stroked the ball home to equalise midway through the first half.

LMHC then took the lead when Alex Davidson was released by a trademark Sambell through ball and with the goal keeper rushing out Davidson unselfishly found Phil McMorris unmarked at the back post to tap in.

A further defensive lapse from the home side saw McMorris get his second and LMHC’s third as the visitors went into the break 3-1 to the good.

However having been warned of a second half revival from the hosts by coach Gordon Davidson at the break it materialised soon after half time.

Two yellow cards in quick succession left LMHC with only nine players on the pitch which gave Urmston the opportunity to take the upper hand in the game.

In what was a crazy 10 minute period a succession of Urmston short corners lead to three quick goals for the home side all of which were scored in similar fashion.

Amidst all the pandemonium Urmston became their own worst enemy as their ill discipline earned them a rare red card and reduced them to 10 men for the remainder of the game.

This gave LMHC the lift they needed as they soon returned to their full quota of 11 players.

Workhorses Nick Davey and Steve Goodwin-Allen bustled their way through into Urmston territory and earned their side a much needed short corner, Rob Cook coolly flicking over the despairing Urmston goalkeeper to even things up at 4-4.

In the latter stages Davey had the best of the LMHC chances, narrowly firing wide after some good work from Allison and Cook down the left.

But it was all square at the final whistle leaving LMHC with mixed emotions after a rollercoaster Saturday afternoon.

It was a result however that kept them second in North Division 2 West ahead of welcoming table-topping Didsbury Northern Men’s 1st Team to the University of Cumbria this Saturday in a 2pm push back.