Fury to fight in February before Klitschko world title tilt

Tyson Fury (right) in action against Dereck Chisora. Picture: Nick Potts/PA Wire.
Tyson Fury (right) in action against Dereck Chisora. Picture: Nick Potts/PA Wire.
0
Have your say

Tyson Fury will headline London’s O2 Arena on Saturday February 28 in his final fight before going on to challenge for a world title.

The undefeated Morecambe giant will face a top-15 ranked contender to be announced as he keeps busy ahead of a long-awaited shot at WBO champion Wladimir Klitschko.

Fury put on the best performance of his career last month when he defeated Dereck Chisora for a second time taking the Londoner’s European title, winning the vacant British title and becoming mandatory challenger to the Ukrainian great in the process.

The 25-year-old, will take a break over Christmas and begin training again in early January, said: “It’s great to have my first fight of the year up and announced so now I can go away, have a break over Christmas and then get back in the gym with a goal to aim for.

“When I haven’t got a fight lined up I find it hard to concentrate.

“I need that focus to aim towards and at least I know I’m fighting on February 28 and then I’ve got the WBO World title fight next.

“I’ll have my opponent confirmed shortly and then I’ll let my trainer and uncle Peter get on with setting up the training camp and fight plans,

“I’m now the mandatory challenger to Klitschko and there’s no way he can dodge me, he can either vacate the title or defend the title against me, either way I’m going to fight for the world title this summer.

“He can be a fighting man and show the world he’s not scared by defending his title against me or prove what I’ve been saying about him for the last few years by vacating the title without fighting me.

“Ideally I want to fight the man who is holding the belt, the champion, this so called great Wladimir Klitschko, I don’t want the vacant belt, I want Klitschko.”

Promoter Frank Warren revealed at Wednesday’s press conference that he contacted the Klitschko camp to try and make the fight between Tyson and Wladimir for March but has had no response.

He said: “I emailed Klitschko’s business manager Bernd Bonte to try and cut through all the tape and make the fight for March, but I’ve not had a response back from them yet.

“That’s fine, but they’ll have to sit down and negotiate after Klitschko has had his fight or we can go to purse bids, either way Fury’s going to fight for the world title next year.

“Obviously Bermane Stiverne and Deontay Wilder fight (for the WBC title) on January 17 and the winner of that could be another potential avenue for Fury and if an opportunity comes up there then it will be worth exploring, but it’s Klitschko who we want.”