Redshaw focused on return to fitness amid Rotherham interest

Morecambe v Rotherham'Jack Redshaw on the run.
Morecambe v Rotherham'Jack Redshaw on the run.
0
Have your say

Morecambe striker Jack Redshaw admits it is nice that other clubs are showing interest in him but insists he is fully focused on returning from injury a better player.

The Shrimps recently turned down a six-figure bid from Rotherham for last season’s Globe Arena top scorer.

And the former Manchester City youngster then picked up an innocuous looking hip injury in the opening friendly against Burnley that he later found out would require surgery and keep him out for up to seven months.

The 22-year-old said: “The gaffer (Jim Bentley) called me and told me a bid had come in for me.

“It came as a bit of a surprise because that was the first I’d heard of it.

“I didn’t really think about it too much because I was focusing on pre-season and Morecambe said straight away they weren’t going to accept it.

“It’s good because that shows the club rate you highly.

“Obviously it’s nice that other clubs are interested in you because it shows you are doing something right.

“But I’m a Morecambe player and if anything were to happen it would be up to them.”

The injury is a setback for the diminutive front man who was looking to build on a breakthrough campaign that saw him score 16 goals in 45 games.

He said: “Last season was great.

“I was feeling confident and scoring goals and I couldn’t wait to start season.

“But then the injury hit and I’m a bit down but I just can’t wait to get back already and it’s only been a few days.”

Redshaw, who expects to go under the knife this week, had no comprehension of the severity of the injury following the game on Tuesday.

He played the second half, thumping a 25-yard effort against the crossbar in a promising start to his season, and says it was only until the day after the game that he realised anything was wrong.

The former Altrincham man, who signed a new one-year deal with the Shrimps earlier this year, said: “I don’t really know what happened.

“I was slowing down and my left foot planted in the ground and the top half of my body carried on going forward.

“I felt it a bit but didn’t think it was anything serious.

“It was the next day I felt it a lot more and I went for the scan on Thursday and got the bad news on Friday.

“I’m a bit down but I just want to get the operation out of the way now.”

Redshaw believes he can use the recovery time to his advantage and come back an improved footballer in 2014.

He said: “It’s frustrating because I was looking to build on last season.

“But hopefully I can improve things like my upper body strength and come back stronger.

“I’ve been working on a few things and just need to make sure I come back ready and raring to go.”