McIlroy says sorry

0
Have your say

MORECAMBE manager Sammy McIlroy has apologised to fans who travelled to Port Vale on Saturday.

McIlroy said he felt sorry for the fans who saw the Shrimps crash to a 7-2 defeat – their heaviest ever Football League reverse.

He said: “I want to apologise to the fans personally and on behalf of the players because what they saw was totally unacceptable.

“I wanted us all to go over to the fans at the end of the game and acknowledge their support but the stewards and police told us we had to get off the pitch as soon as possible as Port Vale were expecting a pitch invasion.

“Our supporters deserve so much better than they saw on Saturday and I felt for them.

“It was my biggest ever defeat as a manager and it hurt. It is the lowest I have felt since the play-off semi-final defeat at Dagenham last year and I just hope the players felt as bad as I did.

“It’s a few days ago now but I still can’t believe how bad we were. We were all over the place and I don’t think I have seen a team of mine look so poor without the ball ever before and I just couldn’t see it coming.

“Usually when you concede seven it is because someone has been sent off or your goalkeeper has had a nightmare but Barry Roche was our best player and there was little he could do about any of the goals.

“We were just shocking and there are no excuses.”

See The Visitor (04-05-11) for full story.