Lancaster City director of football Mick Hoyle insists the departures of Rob Wilson and Aaron Taylor weren’t down to budget cuts.
Joint managers Neil Wainwright and Michael Stringfellow resigned last week after learning their wage budget was to be slashed with several first-team players expected to follow them out of Giant Axe.
But Hoyle says he wanted to keep Wilson and Taylor who both joined Kendal Town on Monday.
He said: “I didn’t want those two to go,
“They were on the bench last week and probably would have been again this Saturday because we did so well against Mossley.
“But they need games and Kendal have got far more coming up than we have.
“Kendal were interested in them and they’ve decided to go up there but I’ve invited them both back for pre-season training knowing playing more games will stand them in good stead.”
Midfielder Wilson had returned to the Dolly Blues in the summer after spells at AFC Fylde and Ambleside and former Morecambe striker Taylor had impressed after being brought in by the recently departed managers following a spell in Australia.
They made their debuts for the Mintcakes on Tuesday night, coming off the bench in a 3-1 defeat to Blyth Spartans in the Evo-Stik Premier Division.
Hoyle says he doesn’t expect any more players to be leaving the club in the near future with players from the club’s under 18 side set to get their chance following the departures of Wilson, Taylor and Jake Simpson.
He said: “Hopefully we’ll be able to keep what we’ve got.
“There’s a squad of 15 now and as reported we looking at bringing two or three of the under 18s into the squad meaning they’ve got an opportunity to prove themselves.”
City host Ossett Town at Giant Axe on Saturday in a 3pm kick-off.