Morecambe’s heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury has had the date of his American debut put back.
The undefeated 6ft9 giant had been set to step into the ring at New York’s Madison Square Garden on St Patrick’s Day, March 17, but will now have to wait until April 20 for his maiden date across the pond.
The 24-year-old has been preparing for the fight in Belgium with trainer Peter Fury but is set to take a step back from training.
Former world cruiserweight champion Steve Cunningham is amongst the names being muted for the April bout as Fury continues on the road to a possible shot at one of the heavyweight-ruling Klitschko brothers.
“The date of April 20 is now 100 per cent for Tyson,” said Peter Fury, speaking to World Boxing News.
“We are looking at getting Steve Cunningham or one of two others for Tyson’s American debut. We have been in training now for a March fight so we tried to get a fight in between in Germany. But promoter Mick Hennessy said it was not possible so we will be easing Tyson back a bit.
“A four-month camp is too long, but we are looking forward to getting out there and making a statement in the USA.
“I think a fight with Cunningham is a good fight, especially when everyone says he beat Adamek.
“So if Tyson does a good job on him, it will send a message to everyone. Have no doubts, he will do.”
Fury dominated Kevin Johnson on route comfortable points victory in his last outing at the start of December.