Improving the Arndale Centre and Victoria Street shopping area is seen as key to Morecambe’s revival.
The MAAP sets out a number of ways to do this.
* Transforming the area between Barclays Bank and the Post Office into a public place of real quality; “a fitting focus for the entrance to the Arndale”
* A better pedestrian route around the library
* Finding a use for the closed-down St Laurence’s Church on Edward Street, and improving the area in front of the church
* Overhauling the junction of Market Street and Victoria Street and Euston Road, which could include changes to parking and turning arrangements for taxis
* New surfacing, lighting, seating and signs for New Town Square (the square near the Travelodge), plus a new central seating feature using the current ‘Beauty Surrounds, Health Abounds’ mosaic
* Better fascias and signs for the Arndale
* Encouraging investment in the Arndale
The city council will also work with the Town Team, who are coming up with ideas to spend £100,000 Government cash on changing Victoria Street into a ‘High Street of the future’.