Three lanes of the M6 northbound are set to reopen at around 4pm following the death of a man who was hit by a car.
The southbound carriageway of the M6 at Junction 31 reopened earlier this afternoon.
Police said the accident happened on the northbound carriageway near Junction 31 at Preston at around 1.30pm today.
The motorway will remain closed until the man’s body is removed and accident investigation work is carried out.
Sergeant Jon Allwright said: “We are still dealing with this incident and accident investigation work is taking place on the northbound carriageway.
“The southbound carriageway is open and traffic is moving but moving slowly. This is because motorists are rubbernecking which is slowing the flow of the traffic down considerably.
“Rubbernecking is dangerous and those travelling on the southbound carriageway need to concentrate on the road in front of them and not looking across to the scene of the incident.”
Police confirmed that the man who died was on the motorway carriageway. He did not jump from an overhead bridge.
For updates keep checking this website and looking on Twitter.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Morecambe
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: South east