Up to 100 homes had to be evacuated after police found a hand grenade on Lancaster’s Ryelands estate.
The bomb squad were called in after officers discovered the device at an address on Ryelands Road at around 2pm on Monday.
A 100ft cordon was put in place and residents had to leave their homes, but they were able to return at around 6.15pm once it had been established the device posed no risk.
A 55-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possessing prohibited ammunition before being released without charge.
- Tributes paid to student killed in road accident
- Elderly man in serious condition after being knocked off bike
- Carer jailed after stealing from elderly women
- A family could have died in a blaze in a rented house after the landlord broke fire regulations.
- Ex-Football League names to help Galgate celebrate anniversary
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Morecambe
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 10 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North west