Mirror causes fire in Lancashire home

editorial image

Firefighters have warned people to keep mirrors away from windows after a fire broke out in a home in Lancaster.

Two engines were called to Damside Street at 11.05am on Monday, after residents had managed to put out a fire in the home.

Crew manager John Holmes said: “It was caused by a vanity mirror in a window, where the reflection from the sun set fire to the silk curtains.

“Luckily the occupants were in and put some water on and put it out.”

He warned that mirrors or vases or bowls in windows could cause “an intense point of light”.