A man has been warned he could be facing prison after admitting causing actual bodily harm to a toddler from Morecambe.
David Pattison pleaded guilty when he appeared at Teesside Crown Court today (Thursday).
The youngster’s father has spoken of his relief that the 41-year-old changed his plea after initially denying the charge when he appeared at Teesside Magistrates’ Court earlier this month.
Pattison, of Wetherall Avenue, Yarm, near Stockton, was charged with assaulting the toddler on October 31 last year.
He was released on conditional bail while a pre-sentence report is carried out on him.
Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Simon Bourne-Arton said: “Don’t think that because I’m releasing you on bail that custody is not an option – all options remain open and I will leave that decision to the judge.”
The child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is now living with his father in the Lancaster area.
The child’s dad expressed his relief after Pattison changed his plea.
Speaking after the hearing, he said: “It beggars belief that someone could do this to a child. I am relieved that he has accepted responsibility for what he has done and I hope that he can get some help.”
Pattison is due to appear before Teesside Crown Court on Thursday, October 31 for sentence.
The child’s father added: “I hope that he gets sent to prison for what he did. I’m just relieved to have the child back in my house where we can all be together.
“I don’t bear any animosity towards Pattison but I want to be in court when he is sentenced to see the look on his face as the realisation of what he has done finally hits home.
“Hopefully, once this is all over, we as a family can all move forward and put this horrendous episode behind us.”