A JOINT investigation is underway after a clubgoer nearly died after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.
Gaby Scanlan, 18, from Heysham, was taken ill during a night out in Lancaster.
She had been out with friends last Thursday evening, October 4 and reported feeling breathless after drinking a cocktail.
She then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm.
There she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach and underwent emergency surgery to remove her stomach.
She is currently in a serious but stable condition.
Medical opinion is that this would have proved fatal had the operation not been carried out urgently.
Lancashire Constabulary continues to work closely with partner agencies and the licensed premises involved.
A Lancashire Police spokesperson said: “The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.
“The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen.”
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Morecambe
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: South east
Temperature: 12 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: West