DCSIMG

End of an era as station box pulled down

Station box at Bare Lane.

Station box at Bare Lane.

One of the most familiar sights in Bare is no more.

The signal box at Bare Lane station, a fixture overlooking Bare Lane for 77 years, was demolished lastweek.

Bare Lane signal box has been officially closed since December 2012 after automated operation of the level crossing and signalling functions was transferred to Preston railway station.

The box had still been manned by Network Rail staff since the closure as a ‘help point’ for rail travellers.

Bare Lane Station was opened by the London and North Western Railway in 1864.

The cabin was built in 1937 and opened on May 23 of that year. Its first signalman was Mr J Hayes.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page