Council take over cocktail probe

A cocktail made using liquid nitrogen.
A cocktail made using liquid nitrogen.
3
Have your say

A probe is continuing into an incident where a teenage girl collapsed after drinking a dangerous liquid nitrogen cocktail.

Gaby Scanlon, 18, is recovering after having life-saving surgery to remove her stomach.

Police have handed the investigation over to Lancaster City Council and enquiries are expected to last a few weeks.

In the meantime the council has barred Oscars wine bar in Lancaster from serving the cocktail and seized its liquid nitrogen equipment.

Gaby, from Heysham, drank the cocktail in the George Street nightspot while celebrating her 18th birthday on October 4.

Her mum Lisa Henshall said: “We thank Gaby’s amazing surgeon for saving Gaby’s life, our family and neighbours, everyone at Ripley (St Thomas Church of England Academy), and Gaby’s friends who have supported and encouraged her.

“Gaby is thinking positively about her future and we are, of course, dedicated to helping her recover.”

David Morris, MP for Morecambe and Lunesdale, has called for a debate in Westminster over the banning of liquid nitrogen in drinks. The chemical is used to make it look like smoke is emanating from the drink.