A CARPET shop worker was seriously injured when he plunged from a roof onto a concrete floor after being asked to fix a leaking skylight.
Lancaster Magistrates Court heard that Jamie Heywood, who worked at A Cut Above on Bulk Road, Lancaster, was asked by his employers to go onto the roof of the retail shop and warehouse to make repairs.
He was not given adequate instruction, training or supervision in working at height before the incident on February 28 last year.
He fell through a fragile asbestos roof onto the concrete floor below and suffered a brain haemorrhage.
He was admitted into intensive care, where he underwent emergency surgery and remained in hospital for more than a month.
David Sowerby and Janet Stretch, partners in A Cut Above, pleaded guilty to breaches of the Health and Safety Legislation and were fined a total of £15,000, with £2,037.52 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
See The Visitor (12-02-12) for full story.