Bring back Morecambe toilets says carnival boss

The closed toilets on Morecambe promenade at end of Regent Road.
The closed toilets on Morecambe promenade at end of Regent Road.
1
Have your say

A campaign is under way to reopen two public toilets in Morecambe.

David Brayshaw, chairman of Morecambe Carnival committee and a town councillor, is spearheading a drive to reinstate toilets near the former Dome site and the end of Regent Road.

The public loos were closed in 2009 after Lancaster City Council cuts.

Coun Brayshaw will ask for backing from fellow town councillors at Thursday’s Morecambe Town Council meeting.

He wants the town council to ask the city council to pay for a feasibility study looking into the reopening of the toilet blocks because their closure had “an adverse effect on tourism”.

Coun Brayshaw said: “The Carnival committee had to pay £2,147 to hire portable toilets for this year’s carnival which is stupid.

“When we’ve tried to raise the issue with Lancaster City Council we’ve had short shrift. They won’t even discuss it.”

The only council-run public toilets in Morecambe town centre are the ones near the Arndale, the Clock Tower, the Festival Market and the West End Gardens.

The city council does not operate any public toilets in Lancaster.

Mark Cullinan, chief executive of Lancaster City Council, said: “If anyone thinks that the city council should provide even more toilets during this continuing period of austerity it is incumbent upon them to suggest where the money will come from.”

Mr Cullinan also said that £600,000 had been spent on upgrading the remaining council-run toilets in Morecambe despite the council facing a five per cent year-on-year budget reduction. He also said the Festival Market facility had been developed into a ‘changing place’ toilet for disabled people.