Morecambe St John Ambulance running for 124 years

editorial image
0
Have your say

The Morecambe St John Ambulance Corps is the oldest voluntary organisation in the town.

An article from the Visitor in 1935, sent in by a reader, details the Brigade’s earliest members and volunteers.

The first first-aid lecture was given by Dr H F Oldham on October 4, 1890, and the first member to be enrolled was Joshua Jowett.

In October 1890, Miss Ellen Richardson became the first member of the Women’s Section for the Ambulance Brigade.

Mr Harry Hargreaves, became the first secretary of the Brigade and held office from 1896-1899, when he was appointed superintendent, which office he held for four years.

Ex-Councillor Charles Howes was the first Superintendent of the Morecambe Division of the St John Ambulance Brigade which was formed in 1896 and he held that position for three years.

The photograph, taken in 1890, shows the first aid class arranged by Dr Oldham from which the Morecambe Ambulance Brigade was formed.

In 1935 there were 44 members of the Ambulance Division, 26 for the nursing division.

The Ambulance Hall in Morecambe Street was first the old Lyric Music Hall and afterwards, before and during the war until 1920, was Messrs Fahy’s, garage and workshop where munitions were made.

The whole building was purchased in 1921, when in a bold move, the Brigade transformed it into an Ambulance Hall, opened by Lord Derby in February, 1922.

Now based in Alice Street, St Johns Ambulance in Morecambe has been running for more than 120 years.

St John Ambulance in England is the country’s leading first aid training organisation and first aid provider.

List of names of those in the picture: Left to right (standing): Alf Shaw (plumber), Reuben Woodhouse (employed on Morecambe Harbour), Jack Stocks (plumber, brother of the late Fred Stocks), Joshua Jowett (newsagent, who had the shop now occupied by W. B. Clarke at the corner of Euston Road and the Promenade). Second row: Sam Weller (stage manager at the Winter Gardens), Rev. T. T. Lancaster (curate at the Parish Church), Dr. H. F. Oldham, M.A. (founder of the St John Ambulance Brigade), Mr. Taylor (deputy instructor), Alf Wilding, plumber of Bare, and leaning on stretcher , Tom Waddington (chemist).